Monday, August 15, 2011

What Are Those Bumps On Your Arm?

These are not my words. I found this article on Facebook posted by Beautylish. 
I wanted to share this because I get these bumps sometimes & I know a lot of other women who get these as well. 
Link to original article:
Beautylish Article


Ever get raised, red bumps on your upper arms that look like a rash? We spoke to New York City-based dermatologist Dr. Dennis Gross to find out exactly what these bumps are and how to get rid of them!
“The bumps that show up on the backs of the arms are a typical case of Keratosis Pilaris, commonly referred to as 'chicken skin,'" Dr. Gross explains.  "This skin condition is commonly seen on the upper arms—but can also appear on other areas, such as your thighs or buttocks—and causes small bumps to form that have a rough, dry feeling. They're usually white in color but can sometimes appear red and are often mistaken as heat rash. Sweating and excess oil can often clog pores, so make sure you exfoliate your whole body in the shower after a workout. KP shouldn't itch or hurt, and aren't contagious."
And what causes these pesky bumps? "Keratosis Pilaris is caused by plugged pores in the hair follicles, which result in tiny bumps on the surface of the skin. They occur more often in winter, as there is less humidity in the air and the skin tends to dry out more quickly. The best way to treat them is with a combination of Alpha and Beta Hydroxy acids—found in peels and exfoliators—or intensive daily moisturization and the use of a humidifier at night," says Dr. Gross.

Hope this article helped you ladies out & cleared some things up. 
Now go exfoliate!!! :)


Love, 
Hannah

5 comments:

LANEY said...

Hey girl! I actually have this.. really bad. ALL over my body.. only place I do not have it is on my back, neck, and feet... and of course my private spot! Haha

BUT I do want to say that unfortunately this stuff does NOT go away! It can be controlled with steroids or by exfoliating (which is only assist in opening the pores and cleansing the area) but sadly, it will come back.

My brother has it and has been on steroids (not muscle steriods, skin steroids) for about 4 years. It has cleared some of it up, but if he stops taking it, it comes back. I have seen several dermatologists for it, and the "medicine" aka cream they provide to me just clears it up for some time and without consistent use, it comes back.

I'm SUPER self conscious of my arms and legs, but at the same time its what makes me ME :)

I have found an awesome obsession with Sally Hansen's AIR BRUSH LEGS spray. If you have this, or if anyone else reading this has KP... this spray comes in 2 colors (I believe there is only two?) and once you spray your legs and arms and rub it in, it evens out your skin tone (for a day) and it prevents other people from staring at your arms or legs wondering what the hell is wrong with us? lol Usually if I am going out or wearing a dress I use that product and I love it!

Note: that SH Spray isnt a "medicine" or "cure". It's just a lotion/tanning kinda thing to cover up the redness from KP and give you a night out without feeling self conscious. I do suggest to exfoliate though! It DOES help, it just wont take away the problem for good.

XO!
LC

Overdoseonthis said...

Thanks for this I just realized i need to exfoliate my body more since recently I have been working out, I want to avoid getting little bumps :)

Anonymous said...

Hey girl!
I found your blog on beautylish, its so cute. Im looking forward to reading more of your posts. Im following, i hope you will check out my blog at http://kellabella83.wordpress.com

Kelly
xoxo

Jennifer Williams said...

I've had these on the back of my arms my entire life. Since I've gotten older they are nowhere near as predominant. KP Duty is expensive but that stuff works wonders for it.

Hannah Lebron said...

Thank you ladies for your input! :)
Since posting this blog, i've started to exfoliate a lot more than usual... I have seen the difference. I also found a salt remedy that can help it too. I am debating if I should post a blog or video on it. Would you guys like to see that?